Friday, May 31, 2013

seize the stage

So, for reasons too blah blah woof woof to expound upon, people keep asking me if I'm moving to the Left Coast, and I keep having to tell them "Hell no, I got tickets to stuff." A reasonable response when:

Olympia Dukakis gets her Thirty Years War on, July through August, in Shakespeare & Co's production of Mother Courage, and

Donmar Warehouse in London sends its all-women Julius Caesar to St Ann's Warehouse in Brooklyn in October, and

The Testament of Mary may have suffered an abrupt decanonization at the hands of Broadway (despite having the best print ad ever), but Fiona Shaw buttonholes the wedding guests for The Rime of the Ancient Mariner at BAM in December as part of its 2013 Next Wave Festival.

Meanwhile, in the Wonders of Technology vein, NTLive has Helen Mirren reprising HMQ in The Audience some time in the next month (depending on where you are), and they've added Kenneth Branagh's Macbeth to the schedule for sometime in July (likewise check local). I find Branagh's Shakespeare tends to shrugworthy, but Alex Kingston's Lady M could be fun.

Also coming down the pike: September it's Othello with Adrian Lester and Rory Kinnear, directed by Nicholas Hytner; and in January 2014 Coriolanus browbeats the fickle masses in a production directed by Josie Rourke, with Tom Hiddleston and Mark Gatiss, from the aforementioned Donmar Warehouse.

Finally, the RSC gets in on the game sometime in November with David Tennant's Richard II.  Are you sensing a theme?

4 comments:

  1. I am going to have to find an excuse to be in NY in October - that Julius Caesar looks really neat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Mark Rylance/Stephen Fry all-boy Twelfth Night will be in previews then as well, if you need the ante upped :-)

      Also I think that's the target date range for the McKellen/Stewart Godot. At this rate I may not be seeing the inside of the Met for some time.

      Delete
    2. TOO MANY THINGS AT ONCE!!!! (I don't even know what's on at the Met in October - clearly I am behind on the scheduling.)

      Delete
    3. I don't know, either. I'm afraid to look now.

      Delete