Wednesday, June 26, 2013

McVicar in Concrete: an interlude

Can't remember why I missed it the first two times, but just took in the encore encore of 2011's Met Il Trovatore HDcast. I have only two things to add to whatever it was people wrote about it way back then: first, David McVicar's set had me thinking I needed to remember to buy cat litter on the way home. Second, we need a new cliche for the swearing of blood oaths. Gratuitous palm-slashing is so last ten centuries. How about face-stapling? [addendum: Okay, I see nobody's quite getting on the bus with this, but it has the benefit of demonstrating Unhinged Commitment to an Idea and yet being directly referential to the circumstances of first-world existence in the 21st century. Wasn't it the Duke of Wellington who said "Only girls fight with swords these days!"?... What if we say Di quella pira was rock n' roll, and along came the Sex Pistols in the form of... Okay I grant this idea either needs some work or a quick plastic bag over the head. I return to my corner.]

No comments:

Post a Comment