Wednesday, August 15, 2012

more demons of acquisition

Arkiv is having a sale on the Sono Luminus label -- some interesting stuff off the beaten track, but perhaps mainly of interest to anyone looking for old Dorian titles, like this Mozart Requiem from 2002, which I thought was pretty cool at the time (I think I reviewed it with They Might Be Giants' first children's album) and  was probably my first encounter with Karina Gauvin, so now I have to see if I actually own it or left the promo at my old job. Dammit. Anyway Dorian had some pretty excellent releases back in the day, some of them recorded in the dead of night at acoustically-perfect Troy Music Hall.

Disclaimer: I know links to Arkiv sales have shown up here before, but just so you know I don't get any money from them, if only because their partnership program is absurdly draconian / byzantine. But better them than Satan Amazon.

4 comments:

  1. Please keep the Arkiv stuff coming. They're not exactly all over the web and very easy to miss these sales. Never heard of Sono Luminus, but looks like an interesting list. Surprised that only some of them are available in digital format. (Not that I'd buy them as downloads, but more and more people only buy that format.)

    (Is there a story behind the "dead of night"? Do tell.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm wondering what kind of bean-counting goes into acquiring a label like that nowadays. Dorian was pretty pro-active in its release schedule, but also a champion of the fairly obscure, so you wouldn't find much in the way of label-sustaining releases in its fairly large back catalog. Probably the Labadie/LVdR stuff came closest, after that gleefully rude Baltimore Consort album.

      Troy Music Hall is acoustically perfect but not particularly soundproof, so they would record in the small hours to minimize retakes due to sirens, car alarms, horns, etc. I always thought that must have been a fun gig, though it was probably pretty arduous at times.

      Delete
  2. I like the Arkiv stuff too - I'm listening right now to one of those Bach box sets that I wouldn't have heard were on sale except for your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you were able to score some, that deal was too good not to pass around.

      Delete